Sunday, August 2, 2015

The Monster Avocado Toast Sandwich and A Ten Commandments Revival

The Farmers Market: The Monster Avocado Toast Sandwich.  This week's trip to the farmers market includes simple ingredients that are plentiful and easy to find.  One of my favorite breakfast sandwiches of all time is an avocado fried egg sandwich on toast.  A few days ago I found a great recipe on Food52 for The Monster Avocado Toast Sandwich which elevates my regular morning favorite to a whole new level. With so many healthy add-ins, this is no longer just for breakfast. I think this sandwich is just the answer when you want something easy and healthy for dinner on those nights when you want to spend as little time in the kitchen as possible.  I've made some very minor adaptations to the original ingredients but once you see how simple this is to throw together, I'm sure you'll have your own adaptations too.




The Monster Avocado Toast Sandwich
2 pieces of your favorite kind of toast
1/2 of an avocado
Fresh ground pepper
sea salt
Pesto (I used homemade because my mother had a bumper crop of basil)
A few thin slices of cucumber
2 slices of tomato (I used a yellow heirloom)
2 thick slices of fresh mozzarella
A small handful of greens (I used romaine but spinach would work nicely too)
1 fried egg

1. On one slice of toast, smash the avocado with a fork, spread from end to end, and sprinkle sea salt and black pepper.

2. On the other slice of toast, spread a nice layer of pesto.

3. Distribute the fillings between the two pieces of toast and smash it all together into one big sandwich of love.

The Find: A Ten Commandments Revival. I really can't express how excited I was when I found this vintage gold plated ten commandments charm bracelet at a local thrift store. For starters, I'm a freak for old charm bracelets. The fact that the charms have the ten commandments etched on to them is a solid score for me.



It really should come as no surprise that I opted to transform the bracelet into a one of a kind sparkling necklace. A little bit of drilling, some sparkling crystal beads,, costume pearls and some recycled chain was all it took to end up with this:




The necklace will be for sale in my Etsy store. You'd better hurry though; with the pope visiting my town in September it might not be around for long ;)

1 comment:

  1. Can't wait to try the sandwich and your necklace us awesome
    You never cease to amaze me

    Peace & hugs my friend

    ReplyDelete