Monday, August 24, 2015

Mixed Berry Galette and Vintage Locker Number Revivals

I'm a week behind here in posting. Let's just keep it between us, okay?  I have been seriously busy this month working on a few painting projects that are due soon and traveling on weekends. I finally see the light at the end of the tunnel and I'm ready to get back here on a regular weekly basis.

The Farmers Market: Mixed Berry Galette.  It's hard to believe the summer will be coming to an end soon. It's been HOT here in Philadelphia and I have to say that I'm ready for fall and winter. I'll miss the fresh summer fruit though. I can barely keep it stocked in the refrigerator. This past weekend I decided that a great way to use some fresh berries was in the form of a mixed berry galette. Don't let the fancy "G" word be off putting. A galette is really just a rustic, free form pie and anything rustic is right up my alley.  It's such a simple recipe too. If you don't have time to make your own pie crust, simply buy it pre-made in the refrigerated section where the biscuits are located. It comes two to a box so you can make two galettes at once or freeze the second pie crust for another day. When I say this is easy, I really mean it. Basically, you're just rolling out the pie crust, filling it with your berries, and putting it in the oven for about 15 minutes.

The galette comes out of the oven looking as pretty as it did before it went in. Grab your fork and some vanilla ice cream and have at it.



Mixed Berry Galette
one 9 inch refrigerated pie crust
one pint strawberries, rinsed and sliced
one pint raspberries
one pint blueberries
2 tablespoons flour
2 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon raw sugar for dusting

1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
2. Roll out pie crust to approximately 12 inches.
3. Toss berries in a large bowl with flour and white sugar.
4. Place pie crust on a parchment covered cookie sheet.
5. Pour the berry mixture over the pie crust, leaving a one inch border.
6. Fold up the uncovered border over the edge of the fruit and pinch into pleats.
7. Sprinkle the raw sugar over the fruit filling.
8. Place in the oven and bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm or at room temperature.

The Find: Vintage Locker Number Revivals.  This week's find came from a flea market near my house. I was delighted when I rounded a corner to find a booth filled with childhood memories. I wish I was one of those people who could recite my locker combination from 7th grade. I am not. In fact, I still have recurring dreams about having to go back and finish my last year of high school. I'm always running around trying to find classrooms and my locker and when I finally find my locker, I can't remember the combination. Oh, the horror.  Still, I love me some old school!!!  This was one of those scores where I came home and did the palm to forehead smack. I only purchased two locker numbers when there was a whole box of them. I should have been greedy because these were so much fun to work with.


I've always been smitten with religious medallions and such. For this project, I seemed especially preoccupied with crosses and medallions. Maybe it's because Frank is coming for his visit to our city of brotherly love next month and our community has been abuzz with talk of all things pope. 

I haven't named #35 yet but I've decided on "Daily Bread" for #25. 






1 comment: